Who benefits from a living wage?
Living Wage programs have benefits for both workers and employers. Living wage policies also have a positive impact on the community as a whole. Becoming a living wage community will make Hamilton a more attractive place for employees and their families to live.
Benefits for workers
- Receive fair compensation
- Raised out of poverty
- Better quality of life
- Improved health
- Opportunities for education/skills training
Benefits for employers
- Reduced absenteeism
- Decreased turnover rates
- Lower recruitment and training costs
- Increases morale, productivity and loyalty
- Recongnition for responsible employers
- See The Impact on Business of adopting Living Wage Policies, by Dr. Sarah Wayland for more information on employer benefits.
Benefits for the community
- Greater consumer spending power
- Increased spending in local economy
- Increased civic participation